11 Feb 6 things I’ve learnt about the office since starting in November…
- First thing I learn’t here at Warehouse Dating was everyone drinks SOO much tea and coffee. You wouldn’t believe the amount we go through. You have to get their drinks perfect otherwise you will get some attitude from the other staff members. Luckily I don’t drink hot drinks so I rarely have to make any. I tend to end up washing up though. Also the amount of water we go through is crazy, which is all Ciarán’s fault as he must go through like three litres a day.
- Another thing I learnt is you have to be able to take a joke here. You can’t take anything to heart because we are like a family so the insults do come from a loving place. Sometimes people don’t know where the line is but no one means anything. It’s just a way we lighten the day and make work a more funny and relaxed place to be. I wouldn’t want it any other way, especially as I can give it as much as the next one.
- This point is mainly with the MD… Never insult Star Trek. Jon is a massive Trek fan so it is a very bad idea. We have a photo for the Enterprise hanging next to his desk. I can imagine by the end of my apprenticeship I will be made to watch the films.
- I’ve also learnt that as long you work hard and to the best of your ability, it’s one of the best places to work. It is the first time I can say I’ve enjoyed working and don’t mind getting up in the morning to come to work. It is also to do with the people that work here as we all get on with each other so well and we are a very open office which helps the day go quickly and us all to feel comfortable. Wouldn’t change the staff here at all.
All suggestions we come up with (as long as they are relevant) are valued greatly. Any new social media or change could make a huge difference to the business so it’s always good to mention things just in case they will work.
- The fifth point I have is be prepared for everything. Whether is making sure you look peng for photos or to be harassed with unrealistic deadlines, anything is possible in this office. You can’t be fazed by anything. It’s good to be prepared for the office to be cold. Seems to take a while to warm it up in the mornings so it’s better to bring in the layers just in case!
- The last thing I have learnt is the office needs educating on the language of today, as you can see in Laz’s blog. The other two apprentices and I have managed to confuse the office a few times with our ‘new’ words. Think we make them feel a little old!